Thursday, February 9, 2012

God Gave Me You for the Ups & Downs

:My Journey of Pregnancy & Type 1 Diabetes:
:
11 weeks 6 days
:
I knew this was going to be hard, but man this is going to be a lot harder than I thought! This was my thought, as I was sitting in the chair at my first endocrinology appointment since being pregnant, listening to her go over all the guidelines for a type 1 diabetic pregnancy. This was a new endocrinologist for me. My regular endo is located in Fort Wayne, IN. It worked fine seeing them 2-3 times a year. But now I would need to be going a lot more often (up to 2 times per week, EEK). So I did some research, and found the best endo around the Bay Area. Too bad he was booked until 3 months later. I knew I could not wait that long! The receptionist recommended another Dr. in the office, so I went with her. Since I was in Indiana for the first few weeks after we found out, I was almost 7 weeks at my first appointment.
:
Not gonna lie, I did not love my endo during my first appointment! Actually when she stepped out of the room to get some more booklets, I told Ry this wasn't going to work and I needed to find a new endo right away. Well, the appointment went on (for over 2 hours) and things got better. And I do like her now. She is just a get to the point, by the book kind of doctor. At first it was overwhelming, but now I'm grateful at how diligent she is. Her goal is to keep baby and me safe too! I was just so used to managing this disease on my own, that it was hard to hand over a little control to the doctor. She did her understudy at UCLA and still uses all their guidelines. I must say, they are pretty intense! She said it was normal for the main doctor there to call his type 1 pregnant patients everyday to make changes to their insulin needs. Holy Cow....Everyday?! The goal is to have my blood sugars between 70-120 at all times. On the lower side for fasting and staying under 120 after meals. I'm pretty much checking my blood sugars every hour that I'm awake and twice in the middle of the night,about 15 times a day. (So much for getting good sleep before the baby arrives) She gave me loads of material from UCLA that states what to do when you blood sugar is this number, or this number, or this number. I'm eating every 2-3 hours to keep my blood sugars from crashing after meals and keep my carbs more spread out. She gave me a log sheet to record everything on. Starting with morning blood sugar, check for ketones, what I eat for every meal/snack, how many carbs, what my blood sugar was at 1 hr post meal, 2 hr post meal, etc, and over night checks. I also add exercise since that adds another curve in the mix.
:
This is a log sheet I found that is similar to mine. Not identical, but you get the idea!
I started out with appointments twice a week. Then once a week. Now we are looking to go once every week and a half, if things are going ok. And this is supposed to be the easier time with your blood sugars. Oh 3rd trimester, I can't even begin to think about your and your insulin resistance right now! I have already made numerous changes to my basal rates and carb ratios. First few weeks I needed more insulin (being sick might have been involved in the increase), then about 9 weeks in they started to lower, which is normal for the 1st trimester. I have been dealing with a couple lows a day, but nothing too serious. Eating every few hours help catch the lows before they drop too low! My endo is great with me changes my ratios on my own, which is awesome.......because I would have anyway!! This disease is so personal, it's different for everyone. I do my best at adjusting my rates by what my numbers are showing. Then during my appointments, we analyze everything and try to make more tweaks if necessary! It's rough going over almost every number from the past week. It kinda makes me feel like I'm failing, even if I'm actually doing really well. (Which my endo continues to reassure me of how great I am doing.)You just want everything to be in range every time. Hello changing hormones, you make that impossible! The hardest for me right now (besides the guilt of highs) is finally getting your basal rates and carb ratios right, and then a few days later.......they are no longer working. Back to the drawing board trying to figure out what needs changed now. It's going to be a challenging process that's for sure, but it will all be worth it in the end. You are worth it baby :) And we get to see you today! Woohoo!!!!
:
When I think about how wonderful Ryan has been through this whole process, it reminds me of the song, "God Gave Me You," by Blake Shelton. I can be a mess when my blood sugars are not where I think they should be. I feel angry, upset, sad, and guilty! And I'm not so fun to be around during these times :( Ry, I'm so thankful for your support and understanding!
:
"God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
And for when I think I lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it’s true
God gave me you"

No comments:

Post a Comment